First Tee — Silicon Valley is looking for high quality caring people that are interested in making a positive impact on youth. Volunteer coaches make the core lessons come to life by finding and using coachable moments. They also work together to make the classes fun and engaging and build a space where mentoring relationships can be formed and grow.
Coaching makes a big difference.
When we ask and survey our advanced participants about their experience in First Tee, them overwhelmingly credit their coaches for improving their communication skills, and their ability to overcome challenges. Additionally, they say they are appreciative of the relationships they formed and the confidence they gained from having their coach believe in them. In a national study across the First Tee network, 87% of First Tee alumni said their relationships with their coaches were meaningful and grew stronger over time. These relationships were based on empathy, high positive expectations, and advocacy (e.g., open doors and eyes to new experiences). According to our participant surveys over the last year, on average:
- 86% said their life skills have improved.
- 95% said their golf skills have improved.
- 97% said their coaches made the classes fun
- 93% said they felt part of the group.
When participants have a group of coaches who care about them and work to make learning fun, it results in increased acquired skills and positive youth development.
Our surveys also reinforce the need to model character and our Nine Core Values. The majority of our surveyed participants said they learned best by doing and seeing the skills. Participants model the behaviors of their coaches, so having a positive approach and demonstrating the values that we expect makes an impact.
Coaching is fulfilling and beneficial!
- Coach Matt – “FTSV has introduced me to wonderful people and helped me form indispensable relationships. FTSV helps me better the lives of my students and myself!”
- Coach Misa – “Coaching has given me the opportunity to strengthen my skills as a coach and learn how to navigate and create new relationships with each student and point them in the right direction to help them achieve their short and long-term goals. I am reminded every week of the inclusivity that FTSV has and am proud to be part of this organization.”
- Coach John – “I get to see players achieve their goals for golf, school, and careers. This helps me with my personal goals in my life and to continue to persevere through my own obstacles.”
- Coach Robby – “FTSV has become a family to me, both accepting me as who I am and encouraging me to develop further.”
- Coach Gabby – “Coaching boosted my confidence in my communication skills and gave me a platform to be a role model for the youth.”
- Coach Jack – “FTSV encourages personal growth and responsibility in a FUN way among friends and caring coaches in a sport that can last a lifetime.”
- Coach Rob – “Understanding how much the juniors look up to the coaches and how much of an effect we have on their lives is impactful.”
What if I am not an expert coach or golfer?
Our coaches come from all walks of life with different life and golf experiences. We provide life and golf skill training as well training on coach strategies, techniques, and on our coach philosophy. Our goal is to make sure every coach feels supported. Additionally, we have lesson plans created so everyone is working together and supporting one another in the content and delivery. There will always be a lead coach for each class coordinating the group of coaches.
What is the time requirement?
- Volunteer coaches can choose from several class options by location, day of the week and time.
- Time commitment is 2.5 hours a day, once a week for an 8-week season. 2.5 hours include a pre-class meeting, 1.5-hour class, and a post-class debrief.
How do I get started?
- Visit our volunteer page and click on the volunteer form.
- Or contact Julie Donnellan at 408-508-4882 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Click here for our volunteer tri-fold for more information
- We are accepting volunteers year-round, but to be able to coach in the next season you will need to complete the on-boarding steps by 8/15 for Fall, and 11/15 for Winter, 2/15 for Spring, and 5/15 for Summer
Join our team, learn/develop coaching skills, make a difference in the youth, and give back to the community! Please help us spread the word. The more positive and dedicated coaches, the better the program, and the more impactful it is for our youth.