What is the purpose of The First Tee of Silicon Valley?
- Our purpose is to develop youth throughout Silicon Valley, build character and help them succeed in life. This coincides with The First Tee’s mission to impact the lives of young people by providing educational programs that build character, instill life-enhancing values, and promote healthy choices through golf.
How much does it cost to join an 8-lesson season?
- The cost for a full 8-week season (12 hours of instruction) is $180.
- Financial aid is available and can reduce the registration feet to $20-$140 based on need (you can apply during registration).
What is the grade range of participants?
- Participants range from 2th grade to 12th. Previous golf knowledge is not required.
How many program levels does TFTSV offer?
- We offer five levels: PLAYer, Par, Birdie, Eagle and Ace.
Where will my child begin the program (PLAYer, Par, Birdie, Eagle or Ace level)?
- All TFTSV participants begin in the PLAYer or PLAYer Teens (6th grade & above) level, regardless of golf ability.
- Participants progress through the levels based on ongoing assessments and a certification process during weeks 6 and 7, where they are evaluated on their retention of life skills and golf fundamentals.
How does my child certify to the next level?
- Convey all Nine Core Values during class
- Exhibit core life lessons during class
- Complete post class assignments
- Complete certification of golf and life skills assessments
- Be grade eligible (3rd grade for Par, 5th for Birdie, 7th for Eagle, 9th for Ace
Where are our TFTSV classes offered?
- Rancho del Pueblo Golf Course: 1649 Hermocilla Way, San Jose, CA 95116
- Baylands Golf Links: 1875 Embarcadero Rd, Palo Alto, CA 94303
- Gavilan Golf Course: 5055 Santa Teresa Blvd, Gilroy, CA 95020
How can I help my child improve?
- Reinforce and reward the life lesson each week. We will have the lesson posted at the golf course and sent in our weekly email. Please feel free to also check in with the coach to learn more about what was covered in the class.
- Be supportive, and active listener, and ask questions. Encourage and reward effort and treat mistakes as opportunities to learn. Please refer to the Positive Coach Alliance’s “Second Goal Parent” resource on our Participant Private Page for more information on how to motivate, support, and empower your child in a youth sport setting. Password is par20.
- Encourage students to practice/play outside of class.
Can I watch my child play during class?
- You may watch your participant practice, but you must be 25 yards away.
- We want the participant not to be distracted by their parent/guardian during class.
Can I assist the coach during class?
- We kindly ask that parents do not coach during the class.
- We have a coaching framework and philosophy that our coaches are delivering and parent instruction can complicate the lesson for the participants.
- However, if you would like to volunteer and be a trained TFTSV coach, we are always looking for help! Please visit the link to get started, https://www.firstteesiliconvalley.org/ways-to-give/volunteer/
Do participants need their own golf clubs?
- We provide clubs, balls, tees and any other equipment they might need.
- However, participants may bring their own golf clubs if they prefer.
Where can we purchase golf clubs?
- You may purchase new golf clubs at any of our golf locations, or online at https://uskidsgolf.com/#
- If you are looking into used clubs, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org once you are at the Par level.
- If you are receiving financial aid and need clubs please contact email@example.com for a discounted set of clubs (when and if available).
When should I buy clubs?
- When students are Par level and above (usually Par Part 2 and above) and your participant has demonstrated an interest in the game.
Golf is expensive, are there any discounts to practice and play outside of class?
- Every active participant will receive a discount card during their first season of each calendar year.
- The card offers participants discounted 9-hole play fees at $5 for Gavilan College Golf Course, Rancho Del Pueblo Golf Course, Los Lagos Golf Course, and Baylands Golf Course.
- Discounts for practice driving range balls are also available with the card.
- The card is to be used only by the participant.
What is the dress code?
- We prefer our participants wear pants/shorts with pockets.
- Polo shirts are recommended
- Athletic shoes or golf shoes
- No boots, crocs, or cleats from other sports
What if we are late to class?
- Similar to a golf tee time, everyone is encouraged to show up 5-10 minutes early.
- For class safety and responsibility purposes we will turn anyone away who is more than 1 minute late.
What if we miss a class? Are there makeups?
- Please notify your coach so he/she can work with you to catch up.
- Unfortunately, we do not offer makeup classes.
- A participant is allowed to miss two classes and still be eligible for the next level.
- If a participant misses more than two classes, he or she can still attend the season, but he or she will not be eligible to move up.
Can my child join another class during week if we can’t attend ours for that week?
- To keep our coach-to-student ratio low, and for logistical reasons we do not allow students to cross over to another class.
What if it rains?
- We will cancel class if the weather is 50 degrees AND severe weather conditions.
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to receive an update on the day’s class status (up to 1 hour before class).
Are there any extra participant opportunities available at TFTSV?
- We offer local, regional, and national opportunities for participants as they advance through our program.
- Local opportunities involve Girls Golf events, pre-season tournaments, scholarships. Both are available for Par level and above.
- Regional opportunities include NCGA Youth on Course card which provides participants with a card that affords $5 green fees at hundreds of golf courses all over the Bay Area. There are also NCGA summer internships, scholarships, and summer caddie work experiences.
- National opportunities are available for Ace level participants and it includes the Pure Insurance First Tee Open, TFT National Championship, Life Skills and Leadership Academy, and TF Scholars Program to name a few.