Mentor youth and make a positive difference
Enjoy golf and give back to the community
Join our team as a Volunteer Coach
The First Tee of Silicon Valley believes positive youth development happens through a meaningful, quality relationship between the coach and participant. Mentor coaches are critical to ensuring our participants have an optimum and enjoyable learning environment. Therefore, we are always looking for high quality volunteers to serve as mentor coaches.
As you consider volunteering for our chapter, know that the safety of our kids is our first priority. Please read our Prevention Policies to see how we conduct programs and activities at our chapter.
- Assist in delivering our golf and life skill curriculum through golf games.
- Demonstrate positive behavior and The First Tee Nine Core Values.
- Help provide a safe, positive and nurturing experience for our participants.
- Commit 2.5 hours a day, once a week for a 9-week class season.
- Choose from several class options by season, location, day of week, and time.
- Help at least 2 of 4 seasons and at least 6 of 8 lessons each season.
- Attend a 2-hour golf and life skill mentor training prior to each season.
No golf experience necessary!
- Contact Us — Please complete this form and check “Volunteering.”
- Telephone Interview
- Volunteer Application
- Child Protection Course
- In-person Interview
- Contingent Offer
- Background Check — After your interview we will send you information regarding the background check. Adult volunteers must successfully complete the LiveScan fingerprinting with the Department of Justice and FBI.
- Juniors 9th grade and above are able to teach our PLAYer level.
- Current Ace or Albatross participants may volunteer for PLAYer and Par classes.
- Deliver TFTSV golf and life skills curriculum to participants ranging from 2nd -12th grade.
- Commit 2.5 hours per class, minimum of twice per week for a 9-week class season, 2-4 seasons per year.
- To find out more about instructor requirements and compensation please Click Here
- Level 1 Coach Training YouTube video.
OUR CLASSES, SEASONS, LOCATIONS:
- Grades- 2nd-12th grade
- Classes meet once per week for 1.5-hours over a 9-week season.
- In each class, students experience a life skill, healthy habit, and golf skill through golf games.
- Spring (Mar-May) – onboarding steps must be completed by February 15th
- Summer (Jun-Aug) – onboarding steps must be completed by May 15th
- Fall (Sep-Nov) – onboarding steps must be completed by August 15th
- Winter (Dec-Feb) – onboarding steps must be completed by November 15th
*Volunteers are welcome to begin the onboarding steps through out the year.
Location and Days
- Rancho del Pueblo — Tuesdays – Saturdays — 1649 Hermocilla Way, San Jose 95116
- Gavilan College — Fridays & Saturdays — 5055 Santa Teresa Blvd, Gilroy 95020
- Baylands — Tuesdays – Fridays — 1875 Embarcadero Road, Palo Alto 94303
- SportsHouse — Wednesdays & Fridays — 3151 Edison Way, Redwood City, CA 94063
Please contact Julie Donnellan at firstname.lastname@example.org or 408-508-4882 if you have any questions.